How to Treat Acne
10 Min Read – How to treat acne – Types of Acne & Acne Treatments
How to spot acne – Proven Acne Treatment at Dr Cindy’s Medical Aesthetics for both men and women. Our treatments have been proved to reduce and treat all forms of acne.
Here’s an Acne Treatment that’s Proven
In this continuing series on acne, we look at some of their causes here and examine common treatments. Acne can be classified into a few categories below and different types of acne always require different solutions and customized treatment plans. Don’t think all pimples are equal and to know your enemy is the key to victory.
Identifying Types of Acne
Comedones: They consist of pores that are blocked with sebum, bacteria, dead skin cells or hair follicles that are clogged and are commonly referred to as Whiteheads and Blackheads. Comedones that are open just under the layer of skin and small are Whiteheads. Those that are closed and visibly black just on your skin’s surface are called Blackheads.
Papules and Pustules: These are pink small bumps that are visible on the surface of your skin. They are red at their base due to inflammation or because of infection in hair follicles and sometimes with pus at the top.
Nodules: Nodules are clearly visible on the surface of the skin, large and solid, these pimples are painful because of excess sebum within your hair follicles are also deeply embedded in your skin.
Cysts: Cysts are also painful lumps that are visible on the surface of your skin and filled with pus.
″Acne are broken down into various types.″
Acne Outbreak – What do I do?
These are some tips and advice when you’re having an onset of acne and don’t know what to do for daily grooming and activities. Scrubbing and bursting pimples might seem very enticing but experts do not recommend it as it may push the infection further down, causing more pores to be blocked and increasing redness, and it becoming more swollen.
″Only skin specialists should be popping a pimple…″
Only skin specialists should be popping a pimple so get it done the right way with Dr Cindy’s Medical Aesthetic clinics. Our skin doctors can treat a pimple that you need when you’re going to an event and can’t afford significant downtime.
- Try to use and mild cleansers for daily washing with warm water for maximum effect or just after treatment or, while having an active outbreak.
- Adopt good hygiene habits by avoiding touching your face.
- Change your masks frequently or get them washed. Dirt and grime can be trapped by face masks.
- Before shaving the face, soften your skin/beard with a moisturizer and wash away with warm soapy water before using a shaving cream.
- Use a specialized cleanser to remove makeup. Our DCMA Cleanser B does this quite effectively and always remember to wash your hands thoroughly before applying any creams, lotions or makeup.
- Clean your glasses often as they have frequent contact with your face and allow excess sebum, makeup and dirt to transfer on them.
- Should your acne reside on your back or shoulders or bust area, try to wear loose clothing to allow skin on these areas to breathe. Should you have acne, remember face masks, headbands, hats and scarves all collect dirt from the environment so definitely wash them often.
- Choose makeup that have been specially formulated for oily and acne-prone skin.
- Do not stay in the sun for extended periods of time as most acne treatments tend to make skin slightly dryer so ensure you apply adequate sunscreen. You can get one here. Our Rejuran Sunscreen SPF50+ (50ml) provides a broad spectrum UVA and UVB protection. Acting more than a just regular sunscreen, it moisturizes damaged skin from the elements while repairing them. Fortified with c-PDRN at 0.2% concentration with 66% USDA approved organic ingredients.
- Stress and inadequate sleep can increase your body’s cortisol levels (stress hormones) thereby exacerbating acne again.
″Stress and inadequate sleep can… exacerbate acne.″
Although Singapore is hot and humid all year round, it is possible to beat acne by following through with a disciplined skin care regime recommend by your doctor. So visit any of our outlets with a no obligation consultation at an affordable $50. The doctors here at Dr Cindy’s Medical Aesthetic clinics will be able to further assess your current skin condition. You can find our outlets here.
Serious Acne Causes Self-esteem Problems
Although acne is a common problem, not treating it early can lead to a more severe case of acne developing. Medical research has been done, examining acne and its effects on relationships. Researchers have found that untreated acne can cause severe social embarrassment and in some cases, may even lead to self-esteem and confidence issues but treatment is available. Even for people who have ‘recovered’ from serious outbreaks of acne, the resultant scarred skin can still affect one’s confidence.
″Scarred skin can… affect one’s confidence.″
Your Concern is Ours, at Dr Cindy’s clinics
Always give time for any acne product as most products require your skin to get use to them. If after several weeks your skin doesn’t improve, do ask our doctors about prescription-strength treatments like Lasers. Here at Dr Cindy’s, our experienced and dedicated skin doctors can help you in:
- Acne control
- Customized skin treatment plan
- Advice on acne-prone skin
- Affordable skin treatments
Whether you require acne medications (oral) or topical most generally work by reducing oil production and swelling or by treating bacterial infection. Our doctors recommend treating the main root causes first. Any treatment program our doctors recommend depends on your age, the type of acne you have including its severity as well as your brief history of acne treatment and your budget, amount of downtime required, and what form of treatment you’re comfortable with. However, rest assured any treatments we advise are always in your best interest – addressing your skin concerns and getting to the root causes. We always recommend our patients diligently adopt a thorough and comprehensive skin treatment plan so as to achieve maximum visible results. if you also have an aging concern, Read Here For 4 Anti-Aging Treatments.
As plainly stated, acne can actually be treated using antibiotics. To start off, moderate to severe acne can sometimes be treated with oral antibiotics to reduce bacteria in combination with our Acne Red Mark Laser and/or with the Clear and Smooth Laser since it smoothens out dry depressed bumps. Don’t make these acne mistakes here.
Oral treatments start off with antibiotics like tetracycline, doxycycline or minocycline with a macrolide (a class of antibiotics) – used to treat skin, soft tissue problems. However, there are risks and side effects from choosing to take oral antibiotics as bacteria will build up resistance, thus reducing treatment efficacy. Oral antibiotics will also increase your sensitivity to the sun and not everyone’s skin will respond to this treatment. Our skin doctors will be able to advise you further on this. These are some other Laser Treatments. Another medication that may be prescribed for acne is Isotretinoin, a derivative of vitamin A. As with most oral medications, there are potentially serious side effects that may arise so always seek regular follow up treatments. Some potential side effects include birth defects, liver damage, depression. That is why we do not recommend this approach to treat acne.
Topical medications are sometimes used together with in-clinic treatment programs to further improve and treat your acne. These products are creams, gels and lotions that usually contain retinoids, useful against moderate acne outbreaks. They may also contain other topicals like benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid for daily use together with a treatment plan from your doctor. Most topical medications can increase sensitivity to sun, redness and dry skin so drop by any of our clinics to speak with us on the most suitable treatments to tackle your skin problems.
Comprehensive Acne Treatment – Dr Cindy’s Medical Aesthetics
Call Us & Book an Appointment:
+65 6733 4433